Friday, March 19, 2010

Day Who Knows?

You definitely deserve an update. And I really want to give you one. But at this point in the day, I am feeling rather tired and I'm not sure how much I'll be able to get out. I want to go through the daily memories that I have, but in short: currently I'm doing really good. I feel great, am walking well, and they've removed all of my tubes. I think I'm still having some small issues with my lung, but nothing that will keep me in the hospital.

Tuesday, March 16, 2010
This day seriously feels like it was about 6 weeks ago. These days in the Clinic have been long. We got to the Clinic right around 10:00 and they immediately took me back to work on some pre-op stuff. Basically this meant that they put me in a gown, asked me my name and birthday a lot, made me take my THIRD pregnancy test (still a no people!) and then went over several other questions to prepare for surgery. They finally came to take me back to the real pre-op around 1:00. Don't worry, we did get lots of pictures of everything!

Once I was back in the second pre-op area, they asked me the exact same questions again. The anesthesiologist (who reminded me of Dwight Schrute) came to talk to me and explain what all he would be doing the procedure and then the nurse stuck in two IV's, one of which was the biggest thing I've even seen in my life. People, I'm telling you, I was so much more nervous about the pain of the IV's than I was the pain of the surgery. I sat in that pre-op room until about 2:15 until they wheeled me into the operating room. Part of the reason we had to wait so long for my surgery to get started was that there was a different surgeon occupying the surgery room they would be using for me.

They told me on Monday that I would be knocked out by the time I made it to the operating room.... and they lied! I was wheeled in and saw a man working on the bypass machine (which looks as big and scary as you would imagine!) and about 6 nurses working on getting everything ready. 2 nurses were working on making sure all of the supplies were out.. which was about a 3 page list. Of course, they asked me my name, birthday, what procedure I was having and if it was mechanical or tissue valve. I definitely got tired of answering those same questions! I was in the operating room about 10 minutes before they finally knocked me out. (Let me remind you in was about 2:25 when they knocked me out.)

At 3:42, they made the first cut.

At 4:50, they started the major portion of the surgery (actually working on my heart)

At 5:50, they were told to go meet with the surgeon.

By 7:30, I was in the ICU and two family members were able to come back.

By roughly 11:30, they were ready to take out the breathing tube (official term: extubate)
{I was very pleasantly surprised that this didn't hurt at all! The worst part was when they had to peel the tape off of my face.. other than that I felt nothing with this}

By midnight, I was able to have some ice chips.

By 2:30, I was drinking water.

By 4:30, I tried a Popsicle, but wasn't very successful with it.

By 6:30, they had me sitting up in my bed to drain the fluid from me chest tube.

Lost more happened in the ICU, but I am wilting fast and think I'm headed to bed. We don't have much on the schedule tomorrow besides a shower (PTL!!!!!!!!!!) and lots of walking. I'll update more then!

We love you! Thanks again for all of the prayers!

1 comment:

  1. Glad you are feeling well. Have been following your blog.
    Doing a little blog hopping...I have 2 GREAT GIVEAWAYS that I will draw for tomorrow night... hope you will stop by.....



Thanks for commenting- I love hearing from readers!